I turned 28 today [January 3, 2017]. That means I have lived 10,220 days, 336 months, and have completed 28 rotations around the sun. Twenty-eight isn’t a significant birthday at all, but I wanted to start collecting a playlist of songs to represent each year of my life. It was hard to do because I only wanted an artist represented once. So this isn’t a “best of” or anything like that. Just a playlist… a playlist that will probably shift throughout time. Continue reading “28 songs for my 28 years on earth”
The name doesn’t really make sense. I was going to put really gritty songs and some synthy pop on a playlist and sorta changed a lot of the songs eventually. The flow isn’t perfect, but there are some good up beat songs as well as some slower, melodic ones. I made a Spotify playlist, so you can listen to that here.
- “Future People” – Alabama Shakes
- “She’s Not Me” – Jenny Lewis
- “Video Girl” – FKA twigs
- “Sober” – Childish Gambino
- “Colony (Sombear Reach 4 Remix)” – Now, Now
- “I Was a Fool” – Tegan and Sara
- “Bright” Echosmith
- “Crystals” – Of Monsters and Men
- “Master Pretender” – First Aid Kit
- “Call Your Girlfriend (Robyn cover)” – Allison Weiss
- “I Love You, Honeybear” – Father John Misty
- “Flying Saucer Blues” – Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s
- “Who is You Lover?” – yellowbirddd
- “Allston” – Tancred
- “Digital Witness” – St. Vincent
It’s Valentine’s Day and that means there is a lot of love in the air. With the love comes a lot of music to aid in the wooing of significant others. Instead of putting on classics like “You Are So Beautiful” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” here’s a list of modern pop hits and some indie tracks to play instead.
1) “Just Impolite” – Plushgun
This synth-filled pop song has a catchy medley filled with cutesy lines like the irresistible hook “I walk the line like Johnny Cash / I made the bus in seconds flat / I called your line too many times / I’m not owantbsessed just impolite.”
2) “Crush” – Noise Ratchet (Mandy Moore cover)
Originally, I put in Mandy Moore’s original, but remembered Noise Ratchet’s cover from the Punk Goes Pop compilation is actually better. A great song to play for that person you simple have a crush on.
3) “Can You Tell” – Ra Ra Riot
It’s another song about yearning for someone, but still perfect to play for someone you just want to be with. Bonus for the simple, relatable lyrics, including: “What am I supposed to do / It’s hard to stay cool / When you smile at me / And I get nervous every time you speak.”
4) “Head Over Feet” – Alanis Morissette
Here’s one that’s not too lovey-dovey, but explains the feeling of being in love perfectly.
5) “Lovely Cup” – Grouplove
This isn’t a traditional love song, but it’s a unique metaphor. A terrific choice for having a fun dance party with someone you just can’t enough of.
6) “Iris” – Goo Goo Dolls
Movie soundtrack songs are the best. Instead of “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” here’s another choice that will make someone swoon for you. I mean that opening lyric (“And I’d give up forever to touch you”) is killer on its own.
7) “Fix You” – Coldplay
8) “Teenage Dream” – Katy Perry
Seriously what we all secretly want. “Let’s go all the way tonight / No regrets, just love / We can dance until we die / You and I, will be young forever.”
9) “I Just Do” – Dear and the Headlights
A terrific indie song filled with little moments that truly make up loving relationships like, “Calling to say hi on your break / In less than twenty words you made / My whole damn day and / Oh I just love you Oh I just love you.”
10) “Never Had Nobody Like You” – M. Ward
This one is for the one you’ve always wanted, but have never found. Bonus points for featuring Zooey Deschanel on backing vocals.
11) “Your Body is a Wonderland” – John Mayer
12) “I Won’t Give Up” – Jason Mraz
Maybe things aren’t going well, but you just need the other person you’ll love them for always. This is it. It’s all a good song, but the chorus is everything: “I won’t give up on us / Even if the skies get rough / I’m giving you all my love / I’m still looking up.”
13) “The Only Exception” – Paramore
These pop-punkers really nailed it with this love song. We’ve all been hurt and said we’ve given up on love, but once you’ve found the one, you’ll want to play this to let them know.
14) “I’m Gonna Be” – Sleeping At Last
The Proclaimers really nailed it with this pop song, but Sleeping at Last made it into a hauntingly beautiful slow jam. For anyone how has half of their heart across the country.
Wow, I’ve been living under a rock, (okay, I’ve been living on a lake in Maine at a summer camp…) but I’m back with a new playlist. It has some new singles from some of my favorites as well as some newer bands I’ve been digging and deep cuts from not-so-new albums. No gimmick here; just songs to consider. Oh, surprisingly there are quite a few electronic-heavy songs… Continue reading “‘3 Sept 13’”
Time for another themed playlist. This time around it’s all about songs that have places in the title. It starts off pretty pop-rocky, goes through a folksy-Americana period and ends with a synthy-electro phase before ending with a rap song by Childish Gambino. Of course. I’ve included links to a Spotify playlist and a Rdio one as well. Enjoy, y’all.
- “Tallulah” – Company of Thieves
- “Country Lane” – Telekinesis
- “Greeley Estates” – Gospel Claws
- “From Finner” – Of Monsters and Men
- “Couer d’Alene” – The Head and the Heart
- “Portland” – Middle Brother
- “Dead Sea” – The Lumineers
- “Massachusetts” – Ra Ra Riot
- “Santa Fe” – Beirut
- “Desert Plane” – Tapes ‘n Tapes
- “Colony” – Now, Now
- “Perth” – Bon Iver
- “I Follow Rivers” Lykke Li
- “We Almost Lost Detroit” – Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- “LES” – Childish Gambino
*Note: Gospel Claws is not on Rdio…so go to Spotify for the complete playlist.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a themed-playlist. Luckily, I’ve been thinking of a few and this one is a set of songs that have beautiful ladies’ names in the titles. I’m not sure if I have perfected the flow yet, but this is as close as I’m going to get for the moment. he list features some popular songs from their respected bands, as well as some of my favorite tracks and even some I don’t listen to as much as I should.
- “Sweet Louise” – The Belle Brigade
- “Lorelai” – Fleet Foxes
- “Yes, Maria, Yes” – David Wax Museum
- “Hannah” – Freelance Whales
- “Chloe in the Afternoon” – St. Vincent
- “Shannon” – Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s
- “Miranda” – Surfer Blood
- “Alex” – Girls
- “Katy With a Y” – yellowbirddd
- “Mariah” – Cass McCombs
- “Willetta” – Dear and the Headlights
- “Jade” – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- “Emmylou” – First Aid Kit
- “Ada” – The National
- “Betty’s a Bombshell” – Grouplove