Liam McCormack is a talented songwriter who performs under the moniker yellowbirddd. His earnest lyrics and intricate compositions allow listeners into a deeply personal diary of emotions and reactions. He’s released four full-length albums and a handful of EPs in addition to playing bass in nationally touring bands like the pop-punk outfit Allison Weiss. Continue reading “Ep. 10: Liam McCormack | yellowbirddd”
The name doesn’t really make sense. I was going to put really gritty songs and some synthy pop on a playlist and sorta changed a lot of the songs eventually. The flow isn’t perfect, but there are some good up beat songs as well as some slower, melodic ones. I made a Spotify playlist, so you can listen to that here.
- “Future People” – Alabama Shakes
- “She’s Not Me” – Jenny Lewis
- “Video Girl” – FKA twigs
- “Sober” – Childish Gambino
- “Colony (Sombear Reach 4 Remix)” – Now, Now
- “I Was a Fool” – Tegan and Sara
- “Bright” Echosmith
- “Crystals” – Of Monsters and Men
- “Master Pretender” – First Aid Kit
- “Call Your Girlfriend (Robyn cover)” – Allison Weiss
- “I Love You, Honeybear” – Father John Misty
- “Flying Saucer Blues” – Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s
- “Who is You Lover?” – yellowbirddd
- “Allston” – Tancred
- “Digital Witness” – St. Vincent
I’ll keep this short and sweet. Here are ten albums I dug this year, in alphabetical order by the musician, and why I like them. I’m giving myself a tweet (140 characters) to explain why I like each release. Continue reading “Top 10 albums of 2014”
My good buddy, Liam McCormack, played a gig over the weekend at the Living Room in the Lower East Side where he premiered tons of new tracks with the help of some amazing backing musicians. Among them was a new jam called “Waiting” which I had the pleasure of watching him perform underneath a tree in Brooklyn Park Bride earlier that day. We chatted about his music throughout the weekend and what he felt about his latest album (and first full band one) and what’s up next for yellowbirddd. He’s recently been playing with a stripped down version of a full band, usually with some combination of a piano, upright bass, pedal steel and drums. While he may be a ways away from recording a new LP, he’s been busy working on tons of new material, which further expands on his amazing lyrical skills.
Check out “Waiting” below. I filmed it on my mobile phone, so the quality isn’t too terrific, but you can still live the magic that is yellowbirddd.
Liam McCormack’s moniker may seem a little goofy, but his music is anything of the sort. His acoustic solo project turned full band for his latest album and now yellowbirddd (always lowercase; always three d’s) has released his first official music video.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a themed-playlist. Luckily, I’ve been thinking of a few and this one is a set of songs that have beautiful ladies’ names in the titles. I’m not sure if I have perfected the flow yet, but this is as close as I’m going to get for the moment. he list features some popular songs from their respected bands, as well as some of my favorite tracks and even some I don’t listen to as much as I should.
- “Sweet Louise” – The Belle Brigade
- “Lorelai” – Fleet Foxes
- “Yes, Maria, Yes” – David Wax Museum
- “Hannah” – Freelance Whales
- “Chloe in the Afternoon” – St. Vincent
- “Shannon” – Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s
- “Miranda” – Surfer Blood
- “Alex” – Girls
- “Katy With a Y” – yellowbirddd
- “Mariah” – Cass McCombs
- “Willetta” – Dear and the Headlights
- “Jade” – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- “Emmylou” – First Aid Kit
- “Ada” – The National
- “Betty’s a Bombshell” – Grouplove
Made another playlist. This one really didn’t have much thought to it and I’m not sure about the flow yet. There’s a lot of slower jams (what else is new?) and some artists I’ve never included in a 15 song set. I’m also too lazy to link all of the bands, so you’ll have to Google them yourself.
The title of it comes from one of the first lines from the first song. Enjoy.
- “Lunatic, Lunatic, Lunatic” – Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s
- “second wind” – yellowbirddd
- “Dane to Another Tune” – First Aid Kit
- “Yellow Brick Road” – Angus & Julia Stone
- “Missing Things” – JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound
- “That’s My Baby” – Sleeper Agent
- “Dead Sea” – The Lumineers
- “Sloom” – Of Monsters and Men
- “Cheerleader” – St. Vincent
- “Hold You Down” – Childish Gambino
- “I Know Places” – Lykke Li
- “Prehistoric” – Now, Now
- “Gold Mountain” – Slow Club
- “Won’t Back Down” (acoustic Tom Petty cover) – Company of Thieves
- “Down in The Valley” – The Head and the Heart