Lately I’ve relied on the good nature of friends to allow me to stay at their places while I lead what I’ve been calling a “homeless chic” lifestyle. I’ve been on the search for income, but that’s another story for another day. Needless to say my sleep pattern has been off because of a lot of aspects of my life have been pulling me in all sorts of directions and crashing.
But I digress.
Last night I got the three and a half best hours of sleep that I’ve had in a long time and I guess my body decided that four a.m. was an appropriate time to wake up. Throughout that time I thought of a new mix I wanted to create and just finished it up. I tried to pick out lyrics that helped explain my search of a home and a better understanding about where I’m going in life.
I’ve accompanied the track listing with lyrics I pulled out. It’s weird, looking back on them I realized that I think a lot of the “you’s” that are mentioned are some sort of home, or in some cases they’re me.
Its title is Letter Home; here it is.
- “Letter Home” by Childish Gambino – Camp
- “Rivers and Roads” by The Head and the Heart – The Head and the Heart
- “Lucky Guy” by The Belle Brigade – The Belle Brigade
- “Won’t Go Quietly” by Company of Thieves – Running From a Gamble
- “Plant a Garden” by TW Walsh – Songs of Pain and Leisure
- “To a Poet” by First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar
- “Look What You’ve Done To Me” by David Wax Museum – Everything Is Saved
- “Call It Off (Live) by Tegan & Sara – Get Along
- “Mistaken For Strangers” by The National – Boxer
- “Never Let Me Go” by Florence + the Machince – Ceremonials
- “bare bones love” by yellowbirdddd – missing
- “Cookskin Cap” by Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s – Live From DeLuna
- “Cruel and Beautiful World” by Grouplove – Never Trust a Happy Song
- “L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.” by Noah and the Whale – Last Night On Earth
- “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros – Up From Below
- “You’re the only girl that I have ever wanted, every other girl is trying to be you”
- “And they’re going to better places, but our friends will be gone away”
- “Seems like a hell of a way to start out for me: walk right in and cause such misery”
- “I will not go quietly! I will not be silenced!”
- “I cannot stress this point enough: plant a garden when the going gets rough”
- “Oh, there’s nothing more to it; I just get through it”
- “I stay right where I am for the sake of this love”
- “Maybe you would have been something I’d be good at”
- “Make up something to believe in your heart of hearts so you have something to wear on your sleeve of sleeves”
- “Though the pressure’s hard to take, it’s the only way I can escape. It seems a heavy choice to make”
- “But now the world is getting smaller and i’m losing track of the days”
- “Keeping my ears warm, breaking my heart”
- “If it seems like we’re falling behind, we’re just slippin’ and tuggin’ from the mouths of our mind”
- “You’ve got more than money and sense, my friend, you’ve got heart and you go in your own way”
- “Home is wherever I’m with you”
I only know 2 of the bands, I’m going to have to look the others up. You can always sell your plasma, but I agree with Ashley, you don’t want to become a gay prostitute, unless you really need to!
That’s an awesome playlist you’ve go there, Tegan & Sara, Florence and the Machine, Noah and the Whale, great artists, great songs.