The 58th Annual Grammy Award nominations were announced today. Here are my gut reaction picks for the major awards.
Record of the Year (artist and producers)
– “Really Love” – D’Angelo and the Vanguard
– “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
– “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran
– “Blank Space” – Taylor Swift
– “Can’t Feel My Face” – The Weeknd
My favorite: “Can’t Feel my Face.” Ronson’s song has fatigued me by this point. Swift’s nominated song isn’t even the best on the album. The Weeknd’s is the best produced and least annoying by this point. I’d vote for that
Probable winner: “Thinking Out Loud.” Voters at the Grammys love some sappiness. Sheeran has been building momentum, and this is probably his year.
Album of the Year
– Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes
– To Pimp a Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar
– Traveller – Chris Stapleton
– 1989 – Taylor Swift
– Beauty Behind the Madness – The Weeknd
My favorite: Sound & Color. This is my favorite release of the year (behind a rarities box set from my favorite band). It has two of the best songs released from this year. Sure, “Don’t Wann Fight” was nominated for Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song, but “Future People” and “Gimme All Your Love” are leaps and bounds better. That’s how good this album is.
Probable winner: Sound & Color or Traveller. Recently, this award has gone to more “indie” artists than mainstream favorites. Last year was Beck and a few years back went to Arcade Fire. Clearly I’m hoping for my favorite release from this year to win, but this is the first year I won’t hate any album that wins
Song of the Year (artist and songwriters)
– “Alright” (Kendrick Lamar)
– “Blank Space” (Taylor Swift)
– “Girl Crush” (Little Big Town)
– “See You Again” (Wiz Khalifa Featuring Charlie Puth)
– “Thinking Out Loud” (Ed Sheeran)
My favorite: “Alright.” It’, alongside “Girl Crush,” are they only two songs that hasn’t been overplayed on mainstream radio. I’d have to vote for something that breaks the mold, but that probably won’t happen.
Probable winner: “Thinking Out Loud.” Sam Smith walked away with both Song and Record of the Year last year; that trend will probably continue this year.
Best New Artist
– Courtney Barnett
– James Bay
– Sam Hunt
– Tori Kelly
– Meghan Trainor
My favorite: Courtney Barnett. She released one of the best albums of the year. She deserves this.
Probable winner: Sam Hunt. He’s catchy and country. Best New Artist needs to be something more than just another annoying pop star like Trainor.