Ah, basketball is back. It reminds me of the days when my shorts when down to my calves, my Nikes always matched my shirt, and when my favorite musician was Ludacris. Junior high was a fun time. I guess it’s also time for my inaugural blog where I predict the upcoming season so I can laugh at my stupidity, I mean confidence, in a few months.
1. My hometown Suns will finish third to last, but people will fall in love with Devin Booker. They’ll also trade either Brandon Knight or Eric Bledsoe.
2. My home state 76ers will keep the injured top pick Ben Simmons on the bench too long and he won’t get Rookie of the Year. However, he will play enough for this to count as his rookie season and there won’t be a Blake Griffin situation. They’ll also tank the season to try for that number one pick again.
3. Young guns: Karl-Anthony Towns and Giannis Antetokounmpo will become an All-Stars. Boogie Cousins gets traded. Towns will be All-NBA in three years, Antetokounmpo will be pronounced as easily as John Smith, and Cousins to Toronto. Oh, and Anthony Davis will miss 25 games.
4. Old dudes: Dirk Nowitzki, and Vince Carter won’t retire. Metta World Peace and Jason Terry will.
5. LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden: the top three MVP vote getters will be (in no particular order).
6. Golden State will make 25 three pointers in a game. The record is 23. It happened twice: Orlando Magic vs. Sacramento Kings on January 13, 2009 and Houston Rockets vs. Golden State Warriors on February 5, 2013.
7. Utah Jazz will upset a higher seed in the playoffs. And take the second round to seven games.
8. These will be the Eastern Conference playoff teams: Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Detroit, Washington.
9. These will be the Western Conference playoff teams: Golden State, San Antonio, Los Angeles Clippers, Houston, Oklahoma City, Portland, Utah, Minnesota.
10. Golden State vs. Cleveland Cavaliers III. But for the last time.